Queendom Relics by Rea'

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

April ePlay Challenge - Wood !

Well April is rapidly coming to a close and here I sit rushing to enter yet another Challenge I did not make the Eclectic Challenge deadline last month... but I am determined to make it today !!
I really like participating in these challenges because they force me to create out-the-box and out of my comfort zone.
This month' s ePlay Challenge over at Eclectic Paperie http://eclecticpaperie.blogspot.ca/2014/04/eplay-challengewood.html    is Wood !

 I had to scratch my head a few times on this one. Then I remembered my Michael's dollar bin ( now 1.50 ) find. Those items just seem to call to me ... I gotta stay away from that section !


Queen Of The Block

 


I started with a few fun finds and some embellishments from my Tim Holtz stash.  My base was a fun wood block with a Q on it ... I love collecting things to display in the Queendom ( my craft room ). When I saw this I knew I wanted to embellish it but had no idea what  direction I was going in. Perfect for the wood challenge ... let the challenge begin !




I saw the coolest image on my Stampington & Company  e-mail and knew I wanted it for my Q- block  ... Queen of the Block was about to be born !! I had no idea what I was doing... I covered  one side of the block with clear gesso and then attached the print I photo copied on to the block then covered it with clear gesso ... being as impatient as I was I did not look up any information on how to attach my print I just figured I'd experiment. Gotta tell you that when the pictured started to bubble I got nervous !!! REALLY ??? I got a few hours to get this ... what ever it's gonna be done... this can't be happening. I took a few deep breaths smoothed it with my fingers and then let it dry ( I lost some of the color and smeared  what remained... didn't know if I should abandon the project at that point or not. So I moved to a different stage ( the sides ) . I had gotten these cute wood cutouts for the side but hadn't a clue what to do with them... and not wanting to do  much at this point. Got out my dusty concord distressing ink and distressed them and quickly glued them to the sides. Now what??
This is definitely a play as you go and hope for the best. Every Queen needs bling... right ? So I got out some bling and put bling  on the side pieces... decided at this point to use purple and gold bling.





Oops ... photos are out of order ... below you will see the side pieces  and the bling.
next I embellished the Q with some bling and decided to create a design using remnants of my Tim Holtz Remnant Rubs ( they'll work on wood right? ... this is my thought process). Yay ... it worked; I put an eyeball rub in the center of the Q ... What ?? I don't know !
Okay this Q needs a crown I used my Tim shears to cut off the unwanted parts of the crowns added bling to it and then attached it to the Q. Okay so the Q has a crown guess I need a crown on the Queen image ... I'm laughing at myself at this point ...  really?? okay embellish the Queen ... got out silver stickles and with a tooth pick placed dots on various parts of  her garment.

Alrighty then... she's beginning to look like  royalty!  I added a purple flower from  my  Michael's stash.


 The block was still "lacking" so I decided to add a Tim Holtz curio knob ... aah ... a little personality here... now it needed some added color on top for the Q side so I colorized some Tim Holtz crinkle ribbon and made a crumpled bow... okay I think that about does it !


Queen of the Block has arrived !!  I think this one may make the deadline... Thanks for hanging out with me while I "figured" this out! See you next month ... maybe :)


6 comments:

  1. Rea...your chunky ATC is so cute! A very inspired and regal creation! I thank you so much for your very very nice comment you left on my blog ! Enjoy your Sunday. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candy ! It was fun visiting your blog ... I'll come again :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Rea!!!! Thanks for stopping by! Your chunky is AWESOME!!! I love each side and all the image, and the bling is perfect! Hope you are well, and hope you can join our new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! always jazzed when you stop by :)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely love what you've done here... what a great wooden make! Love the images, and the flowers and the curio knob are the perfect finishing touches. Just wanted to (belatedly) pop over and thank you for your visit and lovely comment on my Blogworthy link - so much appreciated.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison ! Love visiting all you Blogworthy ladies... just so inspiring !

      Delete